Got your pottery home and don’t know how to begin? Take a peek at our demos and information below to get you started!
- Footprints can be done at any age, right from newborn! We advise handprints only from around 18 months and up (when little ones start to unscrunch their hands a bit).
- Choose a mid-range/dark colour (see the picture below for our guide) – lighter colours don’t work very well, and may disappear once fired. It’s also easier on the little ones to stick to one colour for the prints and keep it simple. You can always get creative in the decoration afterwards!
- For the most control over wiggly feet, make a letter ‘C’ with your hand, with your thumb under the heel and your index finger over the little toes. For hands, ‘high fives’ are a great idea.
- Paint the feet/hands with long strokes – work quickly to avoid the paint drying, and repaint in between each print. Don’t forget the very tips of fingers and toes, and press down on them all to ensure they print.
- If you don’t like how it turns out, use sandpaper to erase it and try again. Remember that small imperfections are in the nature of hand-made pottery, and will make it personal to you and your baby.
- Once done, clean off hands and feet with water or baby wipes.
- (This process works for pet paws too!)